Tremithousa

The village Tremithousa or Trimithousa is located about 4 kilometres northeast of the city of Paphos. Because of the close distance from Paphos the villages is also known as Tremithousa of Paphos.
The village is built at an average altitude of 270 meters. Its area has a general inclination from the northeast to the southwest and the altitude ranges from 150 to 500 meters.
Tremithousa receives an average annual rainfall of about 520 millimetres; vines of winemaking varieties, vegetables, cereals, forage plants, citrus, almond, and walnut trees, and legumes are cultivated in the region. The village has a reputation for the aromatic and tasty honey that it produces.
With respect to transportation Tremithousa connects in the north to the monastery of Agios Neofytos, in the northeast with the village of Tala, and in the east with the main road of Paphos - Polis.

The village, because of the small distance between it and the city of Paphos, has undergone great fluctuations of its population. In 1881 the inhabitants of Tremithousa numbered 156, which increased to 196 in 1891, to 227 in 1901, and to 260 in 1911. In 1921 the inhabitants numbered 298, 317 in 1931, 374 in 1946, and 418 in 1960. In 1973 the inhabitants of Tremithousa were 424. In 1976 the inhabitants decreased to 421 and in 1982 to 369. In the 2001 census the inhabitants numbered 700.

The village existed during the medieval years and -during the era of Frank domination -administratively it belonged to the village of Emba. It probably is the village that was granted in 1375 -along with others -to Tibaldi Belfarang by King Peter II of Cyprus as a reward for the services he offered in the war against the Genoese.
Tremithousa took its name because of the "Tremithia". Tremithia (Terebinth) is a tree that was found in large quantities in the surrounding area. Thus the name Tremithousa or Trimithousa implies an area that is filled with Terebinth trees. Indeed, in the old times the village was known for its production of "Pafitiki Pissa" (gum of Paphos), which is made out of the resin of the Terebinth tree.
Today there is a dynamic residential and tourism development in the region of Tremithousa. Because of the very good climate of the region, as well as the unique panoramic view from the village, the area around the village has started to develop with luxurious villas and organized tourist complexes

© Copyright 2018 | Web design in Cyprus by United Worx Ltd